As a Floridian, you probably don’t think much about using space heaters and the risk that comes along with it. However, with the cost and hassle of installing or replacing the central heat in your home that hardly ever gets used, a lot of people are investing in space heaters as a quick, easy, and affordable solution. They can lower your energy bills by adding direct warmth to the rooms you use most. According to the National Fire Protection Association, supplemental heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires from December through February, and the second leading cause of home fires year-round. To get the most out of your Tampa homeowners insurance, HH Insurance has compiled a list of a few safety tips to keep in mind when using a space heater.
- Only purchase space heaters with the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety mark. UL is a global leader in testing, inspection, certification, auditing and validation. The UL Mark is the single most accepted Certification Mark in the United States, appearing on 22 billion products annually.
- Make sure your heater has an automatic shut-off feature and heating element guards.
- Keep any items that could potentially be a source of fire at least 3 feet away from a space heater.
- Turn off space heaters or set the automatic shut-off timer when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Supervise children and pets around space heaters to prevent burns.
- Check for frayed insulation, broken wires and overheating on electrical space heaters. If you notice any of these problems, have the unit serviced or replaced immediately.
- Use only fuel recommended by the manufacturer for liquid-fueled space heaters.
- Always turn off the heater and let it cool before refueling.
- Avoid using extension cords with space heaters. If you must do so, make sure that the cord is the right gauge size and type for the heater.
- Do not use space heaters to warm bedding, thaw pipes or dry clothing.
Our agents at HH Insurance take pride in helping our customers, and will excel at tailoring an affordable Tampa homeowners insurance policy to protect you and your family against accidents that may result from space heaters. Contact us today to learn more about the different Tampa homeowners insurance policies that we offer!